An archive of important moments in FreeDOS history:
- First announcement of the FreeDOS Project (then "PD-DOS"). (29 June 1994) ~ comp.os.msdos.apps
- FreeDOS changes its name from "PD-DOS" to "Free-DOS." (sometime before 24 July 1994) ~ comp.os.msdos.apps
- FreeDOS officially releases the Free-DOS Alpha 1 distribution. (16 September 1994)
- FreeDOS officially releases the Free-DOS Alpha 2 distribution. (December 1994)
- Student Writes Free Version Of DOS ~ University of Wisconsin-River Falls
- FreeDOS officially releases the Free-DOS Alpha 3 distribution. (January 1995)
- FreeDOS officially releases the Free-DOS Alpha 4 distribution. (June 1995)
- The FreeDOS Kernel (book) by Pat Villani. (6 January 1996) ~ R+D Books
- FreeDOS changes its name from "Free-DOS" to "FreeDOS" (no hyphen).
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Alpha 5 distribution. (10 August 1996)
- DOS on the Internet (features FreeDOS) ~ DOS World Magazine
- Checking Out Alternative DOSses (features FreeDOS) ~ DOS World Magazine
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Alpha 6 distribution. (November 1997)
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 1 "Orlando" distribution. (25 March 1998)
- Cool OS of the Day (about FreeDOS) ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 2 "Marvin" distribution. (28 October 1998)
- Future Tense airs an interview with Jim Hall about FreeDOS.
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 3 "Ventura" distribution. (21 April 1999)
- Embedded DOS (features FreeDOS, see also the original inteview) ~ Silicon Prairie Magazine (Chicago Tribune)
- Interview with Jim Hall ~ UnderByte Magazine
- Maximum PC article mentions FreeDOS as an alternative to MS-DOS, in an article about reviving old 486 processor based PCs.
- What a ride: A hacker's history of FreeDOS ~ UnderByte Magazine
- Italian magazine DEV distributes FreeDOS Beta 4.
- FreeDOS: What's the next step? ~ Underbyte
- What is FreeDOS ~ Pedro (Portuguese computer magazine)
- Morning News article about FreeDOS (see also the original interview) ~ Morning News
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 4 "Lemur" distribution. (9 April 2000)
- Review of FreeDOS ~ Macarlo
- Using the FreeDOS bootsector to port OMU ~ Root Prompt
- Greece's biggest PC magazine PC Master distributes FreeDOS.
- DOS: Undead, and we're loving it ~ In-Tech
- Investor's Business Daily feature "Computers Made Plain" includes FreeDOS in an article on alternative operating systems.
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 5 "Lara" distribution. (10 August 2000)
- UK magazine Computer Shopper (Operating Systems) feature about FreeDOS.
- How to make a boot disk (mentions FreeDOS) ~ PC-Welt (German)
- German magazine Elektronik cover, 2-page article about FreeDOS.
- Open Source Land posts interview with Jim Hall, creates discussion area for FreeDOS topics.
- German edition PC-Magazin article comparing FreeDOS to Windows 95/98/ME.
- German magazine Toolbox distributes FreeDOS Beta 5.
- Dr. Dobb's Journal reviews FreeDOS in embedded systems (we come out ahead).
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 6 "Midnite" distribution. (18 March 2001)
- Spanish Magazine 'Solo Linux' (Issue 117) distributes FreeDOS Beta 5.
- German computer magazine c't issues 12/2001 and 14/2001 distribute FreeDOS Beta 6.
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 7 "Spears" distribution. (7 September 2001)
- FreeBSD Press distributes FreeDOS/V and FreeDOS Beta 6 in Issue6.
- BoxOS To Have Both Unix and DOS/Windows Compatibility (mentions FreeDOS) ~ OSNews
- Newsforge article article about FreeDOS.
- Emulate This!, Part 2 ~ Linux Journal
- Free Software Magazine issue #4 publishes article by Jim Hall about FreeDOS.
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 8 "Methusalem" distribution. (7 April 2002)
- Guy Lotgering's book The Universal Command Guide references FreeDOS.
- Linux Devices article about FreeDOS.
- "Introduction of DOS / Command prompt for Windows user" (book, published in Japan) discusses FreeDOS and reviews FreeDOS Beta 7 and FreeDOS/V.
- Bewitching Vagabond (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Backwash
- Richard's Multiboot Menagerie (mentions FreeDOS Beta 7 as one of the operating systems he uses, and XOSL, the FreeDOS extended operating system loader) ~ Tech TV
- Jim Hall gives keynote at VT about FreeDOS and open source software.
- Electronics magazine Elektor features FreeDOS.
- Galaxysite's blog reviews FreeDOS.
- ProgramFiles.com Top IT Pro Tips document features FreeDOS. ("Tip #7 - Where are Those DOS disks When You Need Them?")
- "WinTel simplifies Bochs-based PC emulation on Jaguar" (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Mac World
- O'Reilly's Managing RAID on Linux (book) mentions FreeDOS. »Read review
- German PCWELT magazine mentions FreeDOS Beta 8.
- German magazine Linux-user distributes a bootable FreeDOS CD-ROM.
- Review: FreeDOS ~ LV Hacker's Network
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 RC1 distribution. (July 2003)
- About FreeDOS (requires registration) ~ Tech Republic
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 RC2 distribution. (23 August 2003)
- Computing Made easy: FreeDOS ~ GalaxySite
- Linux Ethernet-Howto mentions FreeDOS (section 2.9).
- M-Systems' press release about a bootable USB device based on FreeDOS.
- Try one of these alternative OSs to keep that old machine alive (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Tech Republic
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 RC3 distribution. (27 September 2003)
- FreeDOS entry created at Wikipedia.
- Japanese monthly magazine "DOS/V POWER REPORT" reviews FreeDOS, and distributes FreeDOS Beta 9 rc1.
- Many Systems on a PowerBook (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Kernel Thread
- Newsforge article mentions and recommends FreeDOS.
- Dell Offers FreeDOS With New PCs (Dell selling the Dell Dimension n series with FreeDOS) ~ Slashdot
- Boot Disk Saves The Day (mentions NwDsk and FreeDOS) ~ NetworkWorld
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 RC4 distribution. (5 February 2004)
- Bochs x86 IA-32 Emulator 2.1 Released (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Slashdot
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 RC5 distribution. (20 March 2004)
- FreeDOS Turns 10 Years Old Today ~ Slashdot
- Busting the Biggest PC Myths (mentions FreeDOS as an alternative to MS-DOS) ~ PC World
- SpinRite 6.0 for Linux Users (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Linux Journal
- Recover From Mindless Blunders, Part II (mentions FreeDOS) ~ PC World
- Interview with Jim Hall: FreeDOS (see also the original interview) ~ Phraine
- Wikiverse includes FreeDOS in Disk Operating Systems.
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 distribution. (28 September 2004)
- Linux and FreeDOS ~ Windows for Devices
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 SR1 distribution. (30 November 2004)
- Seagate 5GB USB 2.0 Pocket Hard Drive review (review of a portable USB hard drive that includes a copy of FreeDOS) ~ Everything USB
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ Reuters
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ CNN
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ G4 Tech TV
- HP rolls out ultra low priced PC in China ~ CNet
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ ZDNet (UK)
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ Neowin
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ CBS Marketwatch
- HP is shipping FreeDOS desktops to China ~ Investor's Business Daily
- HP Rolls Out Ultra Low Priced PC in China ~ Only Punjab
- HP Sells Cheap FreeDOS PC in China ~ Slashdot
- Ultimate Boot CD 3.1 review (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Software Zone
- FreeDOS, the Open Source DOS, and interview with Jim Hall ~ LibertySoft Tunisia
- HP's upcoming cheap FreeDOS laptops ~ Heise.de
- HP's inexpensive FreeDOS laptops in Europe ~ Tom's Hardware
- Positive Feedback Software releases FreePOS, a restaurant point of sale software and developer kit for FreeDOS (18 May 2005)
- Inexpensive PCs, including Dell's Workstation 470 (Dell selling computers with FreeDOS) ~ The Inquirer
- I Don't Do Windows: Try FreeDOS ~ Computor Edge (print) issue #2328, 2005-07-15
- New GUI in Beta for FreeDOS ~ NewsForge
- DrDOS Inc Breaking GPL (DR-DOS 8.1 distributes GPL'd progams from FreeDOS without source code) ~ Slashdot
- HP's new range of Presario desktops, each pre-loaded with FreeDOS ~ Channel Times
- How Dell repels attempts to buy its 'open source' PC (Dell selling the Dell Dimension n series E510n with FreeDOS) ~ The Register
- Reg readers take the Dell 'Open-source PC' challenge (followup) ~ The Register
- Dell Offering Open PCs ~ ZDNet Asia
- Dell Offering "Open" PC (Dell selling the Dell Dimension n series E510n with FreeDOS) ~ Slashdot
- Dell ships n-series with FreeDOS ~ Local Tech Wire
- Dell ships n-series with FreeDOS ~ eWeek
- Dell ships n-series with FreeDOS ~ NewsForge
- Dell Expands Open Source PC Line ~ Internet News
- Dell ships n-series with FreeDOS ~ TechTree India
- Dell Ships Desktop PC Primed for Linux ~ NewsFactor Magazine
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS Beta 9 SR2 distribution. (30 November 2005)
- Interview with Jim Hall about FreeDOS and OpenGEM ~ OpenGEM
- Internet Magazine (print) includes a copy of FreeDOS Lite, and the (unofficial) FreeDOS Game CD.
- FreeDOS 1.0 coming soon ~ The Inquirer
- FreeDOS "1.0" and beyond ~ NewsForge
- FreeDOS Not Dead; 1.0 Release Imminent ~ Slashdot
- DOS lebt - FreeDOS 1.0 kommt Ende Juli ("DOS lives - FreeDOS 1.0 coming at end of July") ~ Der Standard
- CK Raju tells us that "A large number of hardware vendors of Desktop PC in India are already shipping machines configured with FreeDOS. Advertisements appear almost on a daily basis in major newspapers."
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS 1.0 distribution. (3 September 2006)
- FreeDOS is on TV, featuring FreeDOS developers Eric Auer and Bernd Blaauw! A background article to the TV report is also available at ZDF.
- FreeDOS "1.0" ~ St Paul Pioneer Press
- A concise guide to installing and using FreeDOS ver 1.0 in GNU/Linux ~ All About Linux
- Developer interview: FreeDOS "1.0" ~ NewsForge
- Erstes Release des freien DOS ("First release from FreeDOS") ~ Heise.de
- FreeDOS 1.0 Released ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS Beta 9 review (originally written July 2006) ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS 1.0 Released ~ Slashdot
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ TechWorld
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ TG Daily
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Linux Devices
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Information Week
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ ZDNet UK
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ ZDNet Asia
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ ZDNet US
- FreeDOS finally hits 1.0 milestone ~ CNet
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Linux World
- FreeDOS finally turns 1.0 ~ Geek.com
- FreeDOS finally hits 1.0 milestone ~ Builder AU
- FreeDOS 1.0 sale a la luz ("FreeDOS comes to light") ~ The Inquirer (ES)
- FreeDOS 1.0 sale a la luz ("FreeDOS 1.0 comes to light") ~ Barrapunto
- La vigencia de FreeDOS ("The validity of FreeDOS") [December 2004] ~ Barrapunto
- FreeDOS resucita y lanza su ve ("FreeDOS revives and sees launch") ~ The Inquirer (ES)
- Llega FreeDOS 1.0 ("FreeDOS 1.0 arrives") ~ Noticia 3D
- FreeDOS 1.0 ~ VivaLinux
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Linux Para Todos
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Hispa mp3
- FreeDOS 1.0 released ~ Linuzeros
- FreeDOS hits the 1.0 mark ~ InfoWorld Blog
- Devloper interview: FreeDOS, with Eric Auer ~ Heute.de
- Developer interview: About FreeDOS (video) ~ Heute.de
- Developer interview with Jim Hall ~ Heute.de
- Dell Sells Open Source Computers (Dell selling the Dell Dimension n Series E520 with FreeDOS) ~ Slashdot
- Dell bringt PCs ohne Windows ("Dell brings PCs without Windows") ~ Der Standard
- How to flash motherboard BIOS from Linux (using FreeDOS) ~ Linux Insight
- Techlogg.com article about Dell continuing to sell FreeDOS PCs, and their introduction of Linux (Ubuntu) PCs. (25 May 2007)
- APC Magazine bundles a DVD containing a rescue system that uses FreeDOS ODIN.
- IT Show 2008 - The Complete Coverage (Part 1) (references FreeDOS, installed on some Packard Bell computers) ~ Hardware zone
- CNN article (references DOS to recover data from Space Shuttle Columbia) ~ CNN
- Upgrading the BIOS with FreeDOS ~ Sidux.com
- Whatever Happened to…? (references FreeDOS, says DOS refuses to die) ~ Technologizer
- FreeDOS Turns 15 ~ The Inquirer
- How to revitalize mature [older] computers (references FreeDOS) ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS ranks #17 in the SourceForge "Top 25 Projects" list.
- MS-DOS a 30 ans, et freeDOS toutes ses dents ("MS-DOS turns 30, and FreeDOS has teeth") ~ Silicon.fr
- FreeDOS 1.1 Test Release Hits the Web ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS officially releases the FreeDOS 1.1 distribution. (2 January 2012)
- MenuetOS, FreeDOS See New Releases ~ OSNews
- FreeDOS 1.1 released after 17 years ~ Extreme Tech
- Выпущен дистрибутив FreeDOS 1.1 ("FreeDOS 1.1 distro released") ~ Linux.org.ru
- FreeDOS 1.1: Nueva versión del DOS gratuito ("FreeDOS 1.1: New version of FreeDOS") ~ NeoTeo
- FreeDOS 1.1, esencia MS-DOS en software libre ("FreeDOS 1.1, the essence of MS-DOS in free software") ~ Muy Computer
- FreeDOS 1.1 freigegeben ("FreeDOS 1.1 released") ~ Heise.de
- Freie MSDOS-Alternative FreeDOS 1.1 veröffentlicht ("Free MS-DOS Alternative FreeDOS 1.1 Released") ~ Der Standard
- FreeDOS 1.1 erhält aktuelle Kernkomponenten ("FreeDOS 1.1 replaces current core components") ~ Golem.de
- MenuetOS, FreeDOS 有了新的发行 ("MenuetOS, FreeDOS has a new release") ~ CNBeta
- FreeDOS ya esta disponible la version 1.1 ("FreeDOS now available as version 1.1") ~ gustavopimentel.com.ar
- 14 Years & Kicking: FreeDOS is Still Alive ~ Phoronix
- Developer interview: DOS is (long) dead, long live FreeDOS (interview with Jim Hall) ~ ComputerWorld Australia
- FreeDOS Laptops Non-OS Laptops Gaining Popularity ~ Business Korea
- FreeDOS: Notebooks ohne Betriebssystem in Korea immer beliebter ("FreeDOS: Laptops without operating systems gaining popularity in Korea") ~ MobileGeeks.de
- Microsoft releases historic MS-DOS and Word source code to the public ~ Extreme Tech
- Microsoft's Merry-Making MS-DOS Code Caper ~ Linux Insider
- Please note: if you download and study the MS-DOS source code, you should not contribute code to FreeDOS afterwards. We want to avoid any suggestion that FreeDOS has been "tainted" by this proprietary code.
- Windows 8.1 with Bing (mentions people prefer to buy computers with FreeDOS) ~ PCMasters.de
- Why we should preserve old software (mentions FreeDOS) ~ Network World
- FreeDOS Is 20 Years Old ~ Slashdot
- FreeDOS operating system is 20 ~ Pioneer Press
- FreeDOS obchodzi 20. urodziny, wciąż ciesząc się sporym zainteresowaniem ("FreeDOS celebrates its 20th birthday, is still enjoying considerable interest") ~ dobreprogramy.pl
- Alles Gute - Zwanzig Jahre FreeDOS ("Happy Birthday - Twenty Years for FreeDOS") ~ Pro-Linux.de
- Zwanzig Jahre ist es her… ("Twenty years ago…") ~ Ad-Hoc-News.de
- FreeDOS навърши 20 години ("FreeDOS turns 20") ~ Kaldata
- Venti anni di FreeDOS ("Twenty years of FreeDOS") ~ Macitynet.it
- FreeDOS诞生二十周年 ("FreeDOS twentieth anniversary") ~ Lupaworld
- FreeDOS turns 20 years old ~ Хакер.ru
- Back to the future: A visual tour of my day in FreeDOS ~ Ars Technica
- L’OS gamer, business et embarqué FreeDOS fête ses 20 ans ("The OS for games, business, and embedded turns 20 years old") ~ Silicon.fr
- FreeDOS cumple 20 años ("FreeDOS turns 20 years old") ~ Muy Computer
- Though “barely an operating system,” DOS still matters (interview with Jim Hall and Eric Auer) ~ Ars Technica
- Old school: I work in DOS for an entire day ~ Ars Technica
- Opening an Internet time capsule—Internet in a Box for Win95 (references FreeDOS to install Windows 95) ~ Ars Technica
- Nostalgia: Cómo instalar FreeDOS paso a paso ("Nostalgia: How to install FreeDOS step by step") ~ Softzone.es
- FreeDOS – Totgesagte leben länger ("FreeDOS - declared dead?" about how FreeDOS is still found in odd places) ~ FreiesMagazin.de
- FreeDOS as an alternative operating system ~ PC Konfigurator (Germany)
- How (and why) FreeDOS keeps DOS alive ~ ComputerWorld Australia
- The Freeware Hall of Fame Enters Its 20th Year (references FreeDOS) ~ Slashdot
Other archives of FreeDOS events:
Or, follow FreeDOS in the news using Google News.